Bone Mass Measurement Detailed
Coverage: Conditions that must be met before Medicare will provide coverage, and limits to coverage.
Medicare covers bone mass measurement if you meet certain conditions:
1. This test must be ordered by a doctor or qualified practitioner who is treating you.
2. Every two years or more frequently if medically necessary.
3. You must meet one or more of the conditions below:
- Women who are being treated for low estrogen levels and are at clinical risk for osteoporosis, based on their medical history and other findings.
- Men and women whose x-rays show possible osteoporosis, osteopenia, or vertebral fractures
- Men and women on prednisone or steroid-type drugs or who are planning to begin such treatment.
- Men and women diagnosed with primary hyperparathyroidism.
- Men and women being treated with a drug for osteoporosis, to see if the therapy is working.
CoPayment: The amount you need to pay.
You pay nothing for this test if the doctor or other qualified health care provider accepts assignment.
Medicare Part: The part of Medicare that pays for this service or supply.
Organization Name: The organization name that this coverage topic is associated with.
Important Notes: Details regarding important notes about the coverage.