Request Senior Care
Hospital Beds Detailed
Coverage: Conditions that must be met before Medicare will provide coverage, and limits to coverage.
Medicare covers durable medical equipment (DME) that your doctor prescribes for use in your home. Only your own doctor should prescribe medical equipment for you.
Durable Medical Equipment:
- Is used for a medical reason.
- Is not usually useful to someone who is not sick or injured.
- Is used in your home.
Covered Durable Medical Equipment includes, but is not limited to:
- Air fluidized beds
- Blood glucose monitors
- Canes (white canes for the blind are not covered)
- Commode chairs
- Home oxygen equipment and supplies
- Hospital beds
- Infusion pumps (and some medicines used in infusion pumps if considered reasonable and necessary)
- Nebulizers (and some medicines used in nebulizers if considered reasonable and necessary)
- Patient lifts (to lift patient from bed or wheelchair by manual or power operation)
- Suction pumps
- Traction equipment
Make sure your supplier is enrolled by Medicare and has a Medicare supplier number. Suppliers have to meet strict standards to qualify for a Medicare supplier number. Medicare will not pay your claim if your supplier is not enrolled in Medicare and does not have a Medicare supplier number.
CoPayment: The amount you need to pay.
The amount you pay varies. Call your Medical Durable Equipment Carrier for more information. Medicare pays for different kinds of DME in different ways; some equipment must be rented, other equipment must be purchased, and for some equipment you may choose rental or purchase.
If a supplier of Durable Medical Equipment does not accept assignment, there is no limit to what can be charged. You also may have to pay the entire bill (your share and Medicare's share) at the time you get the Durable Medical Equipment. Always ask the supplier if they accept assignment. It could save you money.
Medicare Part: The part of Medicare that pays for this service or supply.
Organization Name: The organization name that this coverage topic is associated with.
Important Notes: Details regarding important notes about the coverage.