Ask Karen

Browse Postings - Ask a Question

Search Content For:

Getting paid to take care of disabled husband

Posted: 1/23/2012
Colleen, OH:

How can I get paid to take care of my disabled husband who needs 24hour care? He can no longer work due to a massive stroke and is in a wheel chair with limited mobility. I am the sole caregiver to my husband and can not leave him alone.


Dear C.,

This is a very common question for spouse caregivers. I am sending you a link specific for Ohio since I do not know your county.

Suggest you begin to look into nursing homes in your area and consider putting his name on a wait list in case you find you need to place. If you qualify for a medicaid bed, there is also a wait list generally. Email me through my website if you would like personal assistance with this task.

Best of luck; thanks for writing in.

Karen L. Rice, LNHA, Gerontologist, Mediator

Alzheimer’s & Family Care Management

Alzheimer Mediation For Dementia Conflict