Ask Karen

Browse Postings - Ask a Question

Search Content For:


Posted: 5/22/2012

I am moving to tx, and my parents are in sc. how can mymom stay at home and get paid to take care of my dad 24hrs a day he has had a stroke, triple bypass, and has a trake, and on oxagen 24-7 and in a wheel chair, she needs to be home with him, and wants to be there for him but there only living off of 940.00 dollars a month.


Dear A.,

Will mother provide the skilled care father needs? Suggest to contact home health agencies and inquire about skilled care services and costs. Another contact is Area Agency on Aging to learn about programs in South Carolina that your father might qualify for.

Currently, pay for family caregiving differs state to state.

Here are a couple of websites on the topic:

Best of luck; thanks for writing in.

Karen L. Rice, LNHA, Gerontologist, Mediator

Alzheimer’s & Family Care Management

Alzheimer Mediation For Dementia Conflict