Bed Sore / Skin / Wound Barrier Creams / Ointments Skin-Prep Protective Dressing
Skin-Prep Protective DressingSkin-Prep is a liquid film-forming dressing that is applied to the skin and forms a protective film to help reduce friction during removal of tapes and films. Skin-Prep also allows skin to breathe so tapes and films adhere better. Another benefit of skin-prep includes priming skin for attachment to drainage tubes, external catheters, ostomy site perimeters, and adhesive dressings.
- Only one coat is required.
- Removes easily using skin cleanser or soap and water.
- Applies easily to any area of skin including elbows, knees, and heels.
- Won’t crack or peel during movement
- May increase intervals between dressing changes
- Pediatrician tested
Most Home Care Nurses keep these prep pads handy for their multiple uses. They prevent skin breakdown and cause better adherence of dressings such as Duoderm and tape. I encourage family caregivers to always apply skin prep first to the skin (especially the thin and fragile skin of elderly). TIP: One pad goes a long way, but be sure to allow thorough drying before applying dressings or tape.